In a speech at the IMF Research Conference, Summers said “in the years ahead, to think about how we manage an economy in which the zero nominal interest rate is a chronic and systemic inhibitor of economic activity holding our economies back below their potential. ”
“On Growth,” Policy Network Publication, September 17, 2012
In a speech given at the London Stock Exchange on September 6th, 2012, Larry Summers argues that in the current environment, to continue to radically slash public investment is to violate the Hippocratic Oath. “It compromises jobs, it compromises the future, it ultimately raises the debt burdens that are passed on to the next generation.”
“Doing Right by our Children,“ Excerpted from Remarks at the Commonfund Forum 2012
“The United States today faces many daunting challenges. But none should take higher priority than that of doing right by our children. In fact, leaving this country a better place for future generations is a good way to think about solving a whole set of government financial challenges. Unfortunately, in many cases, we are currently falling short.”
Selected speeches by Lawrence H. Summers:
- “Africa and the Global Economy,” June 14, 2013, Gabon, Africa
- “Preparing the Next Generation for the Workplace,” June 13, 2013, Gabon, Africa
- “London School of Economics,“ March 25, 2013, London, England
- “Talking Taxes at USC Gould,” February 7, 2013, University of Southern California
- “The Tension between Politics and Economics,” October 2012, The Buttonwood Gathering, New York, NY
- “The European Crisis: An American View,” The Institute of International and European Affairs, October 19, 2012, Dublin, Ireland
- “Henry Jackson Initiative USA Launch,” October 25, 2012, New York, NY
- “A Conversation on New Economic Thinking,” April 8, 2011, Bretton Woods Conference, Bretton Woods, NJ
- “Lessons of Leadership,” April 4, 2011, American Corporate Partners, Cambridge, MA
- “Challenges Facing the United States,” March 23, 2011, Harvard Club, Cambridge, MA
- “Battle for America’s future will be won or lost in America’s public schools,” February 2, 2011, Teach for America 20th Anniversary Summit
- “Prophecies of American decline will prove to be self-denying once again,” February 2, 2011, Herzliya Conference, Herzliya, Israel
Selected Congressional Testimony by Lawrence H. Summers:
- Testimony to Senate Budget Committee, June 4, 2013 (as prepared)
- Testimony to House Budget Committee, September 9, 2008 (as prepared).
- Testimony to the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress regarding the proposed Fiscal Stimulus Package, January 16, 2008.
- Testimony delivered at the Hearing of the Senate Finance Committee, Washington, D.C., March 8, 2007 (as prepared).
- Testimony delivered at the Hearing of the Joint Economic Committee, Washington, D.C., January 31, 2007 (as prepared).
For speeches by Mr. Summers during his time at the Director of the National Economic Council.
For speeches by Mr. Summers during his time as President of Harvard University.